Disclosure: I received 2 products listed below to facilitate my review. I received no other compensation and all opinions are 100% my own.
A few weeks ago I posted about trying to get USI Electric’s Carbon Monoxide & Natural Gas Alarm on the shelves at Walmart. Thank you to all who voted. The winning products will be announced in late September. I will let you know when I find out the results.
I was sent 2 USI Electric’s Carbon Monoxide & Natural Gas Alarms to review. They are smaller than other carbon monoxide alarms I have seen so I like that they don’t take up much room on the outlet. They are basically “plug and play”. There are 2 charts in the instructions that give recommended placement depending on how many levels your home has. Once you decide placement, simply plug the alarm in and it is ready to go. There are 2 buttons on the front of the unit. Press the TEST/CO SILENCE button to test the unit. You will hear 1 beep, a one second pause, and then 4 loud horn sounds. Then press the PEAK/RESET button for 10 seconds to reset the unit. This simple test should be done weekly to make sure the unit is working properly. That’s it. Easy peasy! If you don’t already have carbon monoxide and natural gas alarms in your home, please get them to protect yourself and your family!
Most of us have smoke detectors in our homes but did you know that isn’t enough? Carbon Monoxide and natural gas leaks are silent killers. When it comes to carbon monoxide and natural gas leaks, earlier detection and warnings can give you the few seconds you need to survive a deadly fate.
The leading cause of poisoning deaths in the U.S., carbon monoxide leaks can lead to long-term physical and emotional distress.
What is carbon monoxide poisoning and what should I look for?
Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, food poisoning and other illnesses. Carbon monoxide is undetected by humans or animals and can be fatal, causing death within minutes.
Why is a carbon monoxide detector so important?
According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), all people and animals are at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. Certain groups — unborn babies, infants, the elderly and people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems — are more susceptible to its effects. Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Why is a natural gas detector so important?
Why is a natural gas detector so important? A detector is crucial to protecting your home and neighborhood from explosive natural gas. According to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), the odorant that is added to that colorless and odorless natural gas used in homes can lose its odor. This problem is called “odorant fade” and may cause a leak in a home to be undetectable through the sense of smell.
Universal Security Instruments 2-in-1 Carbon Monoxide & Natural Gas Alarm
Universal Security Instruments has launched a new cost-effective and compact plug-in carbon monoxide and natural gas alarm with smart technology to help protect families and save lives.
The new compact design alarm is the smallest available. No bigger than your average smart phone, the 2-in-1 alarm covers only one electrical outlet and has one sensor to accurately detect carbon monoxide and natural gas exposure in the home.
The Universal Security dual-sensing carbon monoxide and natural gas plug-in alarm with smart technology is generally immune from nuisance alarms caused by common household chemicals and cleaners.
The dual-sensing gas alarm is available at a similar cost to the carbon monoxide only alarms and creates a compelling value for families looking to purchase these life-saving devices.