Disclosure: We received the products mentioned below to facilitate our review. We received no other compensation and all opinions are 100% our own.
Did you know that coin lithium batteries can be found in most homes in everyday items like remote controls and keyless entry devices for your car yet many parents don’t know that if ingested, these coin-sized lithium batteries can cause serious chemical burns in as little as 2 hours? In a survey conducted by Energizer, 62 percent of parents reported being unaware of the risk associated with coin lithium batteries. I was contacted by Energizer to see if I would be interested in spreading the message on just how dangerous these batteries can be and how to keep children safe and of course I jumped at the chance.
In support of National Childhood Injury Prevention Week (September 1-7, 2013), the National Safety Council and Energizer have teamed up to share some important tips every parent should know to help prevent injuries from the ingestion of Coin Lithium batteries to help keep kids safe.
The 4 S’s of Coin Lithium Battery Safety
- · STORE devices that use coin lithium batteries out of reach of children
- · SECURE the battery compartments of devices
- · SELECT battery packaging that meets federal guidelines for child resistance, such as Energizer’s coin lithium battery packaging
- · SHARE this information with your friends and family
Energizer led the industry by being the first to voluntarily develop packaging for its 20 millimeter coin lithium batteries that meets the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) strict guidelines for child-resistant packaging. They also developed a national awareness campaign in partnership with Safe Kids Worldwide called The Battery Controlled, which works to alert parents and caregivers to the dangers of swallowing coin lithium batteries. Identifying ways its products can help keep families safe is part of the Energizer commitment to designing its products with people in mind and investing in programs that have a positive impact on the world. that’s positivenergy™
If it is suspected that a child has swallowed a coin lithium battery, it is important to go to the emergency department immediately. For more information on child safety and coin lithium battery safety, please visit nsc.org, www.energizer.com, TheBatteryControlled.com and www.poison.org/battery.
The CPSC imposes strict guidelines to determine if a packaging qualifies as effectively child-resistant. The packaging is tested with groups of children ages 42-51 months and also with senior adults ages 50-70. For a package to be child-resistant, a total of 80% of the children tested must not open the package in a full 10 minutes of testing. To make sure that adults are able to use a child-resistant package properly, 90% of adults tested have up to five minutes, and then another minute in a second test, to open and close the package (if applicable) so that it is child-resistant again.
We were given packages of Energizer coin lithium batteries as well as a package from a competitor to see which one would be easier for my children to open. The competitor’s packaging was much easier to get into than Energizer’s Coin Lithium battery packaging. We needed scissors to open the Energizer packaging while my daughter was able to open the competitor’s packaging by simply ripping the cardboard around the batteries.
Want to win the items below? Enter the Giveaway:
- · Two (2) packages of Energizer Coin Lithium batteries
- · One (1) Energizer LED Nightlight (winner’s choice between Sleeping Beauty or Cars)
- · One (1) Energizer Weatheready 2-in-1 LED Light